Writing 101 (not really)

I love writing. I've wrote many short stories for school and just for myself, but I always have trouble writing and\or sticking with a plotline and characters. I can remember many stories I've started and gave up after the second chapter, not to mention the one I restarted over four times (still haven't finished). Me and my sisters started writing stories about dogs that lived on the wild, like the Warrior cat books but with dogs, and stories about girls that ride horses, like The Saddle Club, when we were really young. I can't remember my age when we started, but I'm guessing to be around six or seven. My stories were terrible back then, but I had so much fun making up characters and naming animals. My oldest sister, Kristen, had (and still does) a talent for drawing. She used to draw up maps for our stories and we would place the houses where we wanted them and the trees.
Now, I still write stories, I actually started something new and was working on it last night. I'm hoping to make it a young-adult mystery, but who knows how long I'm gonna keep writing it. Anyway, I wanted to share some of my tips and tricks that I use as I have been writing for 5+ years now.

Tips: 
1. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy what you are creating. Don't write something you're not comfortable with. I've had many mistakes with that.
2. Sometimes it easier to come up with the characters and their personalities before you write the story, but I've had success coming up with them while I was writing, too.
3. Practice as much as you can. I can write much better stories now than I could've three years ago.
4. Use a thesaurus. I use an online one and it helps in so many ways.
5. Write on an computer if you have one. You can get your ideas down quicker and won't' forget them as easily. I still write on paper, but my handwriting is terrible, so I try to type on Word or something like that.
6. Try to edit your story once you're done. You'll be able to fix many mistakes and change words that you've used too often.
7. Try not to use words like, said, went, he, she, ect. You can over use these and your story can go down fast. Try using words like, exclaimed, galloped, (his name here), (her name here), ect.


Thank you so much for reading this.I'm gonna post some of my old short stories on here and will link this post when I do. I link them below, too.

Please comment, share, and follow this blog. 
Sign up for my newsletter! 
* indicates required









Comments

Popular Posts